Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Farmville and me

I play a lot of Farmville. I plant my crops and wait for them to grow. I harvest my crops and spend my virtual earnings planting new crops, buying buildings, collecting animals and decorating. I bake virtual goods to trade for fuel. I spend a lot of time playing Farmville.  I used to look with scorn at people who played Farmville. I knew they had no lives. Not any longer.  I am now a Farmville fan.
If you do not have a Facebook page, you most likely have not heard of, much less played, Farmville. Facebook is an Internet site for social networking. It is used by a half a billion people, worldwide.  Farmville, owned by a Zynga, is an application on Facebook. More than 18 million people a day play Farmville.* That is a lot of virtual farming.  I am obviously not alone in my obsession.
What is it about this game that so captures the attention of so many people? There are claims this game is addictive. If so, where is the harm? I say the addiction is therapeutic.  There are worse things 18 million of us could be doing.
Farmville is free. Farmers can advance without spending a dime. Money can be spent to buy premium items and I admit I have spent real money on my farm. The visuals are fantastic. It is amazing to see detail and whimsy in the crops and animals.  Contests are held for those who are inspired to create patterns and designs on their farms. There is an ever changing selection of seasonal decorations, crops, projects, and buildings. The Swiss Bank building was one of my favorites. I bought it to deposit my poppy crop money. Not many of my neighbors “got” the joke.
Neighbors are what are needed to succeed. My neighbors are comprised of old high school friends, their friends and total strangers. Neighbors give each other gifts in Farmville to help each other accomplish goals.  Neighbors visit each other’s farms to “trick or treat” or fertilize crops. The interaction is peaceful, non competitive and friendly and rewards both farmers.
The real world is often not peaceful, friendly or rewarding. It is often overly competitive. Competition does exist in Farmville. Neighbors are ranked and it is easy to see who spends real dollars on the game and who does not. But if you work hard, the game rewards you and your farm will grow. No real money needed.
The key to a prosperous farm is peaceful interaction with your neighbors.  The focus is on co operative interaction not competitive elimination. The game provides set goals and rewards you when you achieve them. The game is extremely easy to learn. If you work hard you are rewarded. That is why I and 18 million people have a virtual farm.

 * http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/22/zynga-frontierville/

No comments:

Post a Comment